Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Sorry! I'm a horrible, horrible blogger.

Ok, so my deepest apologies for being the worst blogger ever. At first, I was just being lazy.  Now, I feel like I don't have much to blog about anymore.  Well, it's not so much that I don't have stuff to say it's just that I don't feel that it is appropriate for this forum/format.  Anywho, now that the days are getting longer and I have found things to keep me busy during the days I thought I would at least try to post.  So, I'm going to go back to Christmas break and tell you a bit about D. and I's trip to Pangnirtung (where the pictures in the previous post were taken).

Our trip to Pang was excellent.  After nearly a week of flights being canceled due to weather, our flight left on time the day it was supposed to.  That's the trade off for not having to go through security and all that b/s at the airports up here.  The airports don't have any automated landing equipment (except in Iqaluit) so the weather has to be pretty decent for flights to actually get in and out (more about that later).  Anyways, we had a nice little layover in Iqaluit and went to Arctic Ventures to get some Christmas presents.  We then got to Pang as scheduled.  We had the opportunity to have our own place while we were in Pang; this was particularly nice because we ended up being there longer than originally planned and D's parents' house is quite small.  Although I don't want to belittle our own house, the one we stayed in was quite a bit newer and thus, in some ways, nicer.  Thus, our trip got off to a great start.

It was really nice getting to spend time with D.'s parents.  I really enjoy their company and their previous experiences living in the north were particularly helpful.  We went out to a few community events and also got to do a lot of socializing with their friends.  Christmas was great.  It was my first Christmas without at least part of my own family, but I felt very much a part of the family and, while I missed my own, I had a fabulous time.  Pang is so much flatter than Cape Dorset, so walking around was much easier and leisurely. 

D. and I were looking forward to being home in Cape Dorset and spending our first New Years together in our home.  However, the weather had other plans for us.  Pang got a huge snow storm the day before (and the day) we were supposed to leave.  Due to the scheduling of flights between Iqaluit and Cape Dorset,  we decided to wait until the weekend to leave.  Nonetheless, we had a very nice New Year's Eve.  Because D. had to start work again the following Monday, we were kind of stressed about getting home on time.  We left Pang on Saturday, spent the night in a very nice Bed and Breakfast that night in Iqaluit, and left on Sunday.  It was nice spending the night in Iqaluit because we got to do some more shopping (mostly for groceries and stuff we couldn't get here in Cape Dorset) and we had the B&B to ourselves so we enjoyed having television for the night (I watched the last "Doctor Who" with David Tennent).  We left the B&B in the morning so we had plenty of time to get to the airport etc.  However, when we actually got to the airport, we discovered that we were mistaken about the time on our tickets.  We got there at the time the plane was supposed to be leaving, not the time for boarding.  Fortunately, the plane was delayed and with a little bit of desperate pleading with the airport employees, we were allowed on the plane.  It was a very stressful day but we did get home.  D. fell ill as soon as we arrived home but we made it!

So, that was Christmas.  And I'm only telling you all this story a month late.  Love to you all!

2 comments:

  1. back to blogging! it was nice to meet you at christmas and good to see you back here...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't feel bad about the blogging. Most of us take time out from it. Sometimes quality is better than quantity.

    Although most of the time I lack both on my blog.

    :o)

    ReplyDelete