Thursday, November 26, 2009

Tunngasugit! (Welcome!)

Tunngasugit! Or, welcome in Inuktitut.  I have been advised by many of my friends to start a blog of my experiences while living here in the Canadian north.  Most of you reading this will know why I am currently residing in Cape Dorset, Nunavut; but just in case you don't I have moved up here to live with my partner. (even though I HATE that term, it is the most appropriate).  I feel like the first few entries may be a bit awkward because I am not used to writing like this but hopefully, I will get the hang of it.

I have now been in Cape Dorset for a week and I am now just starting to really settle in.  Right now I am unemployed but I am hoping to remedy that situation.  We live in a nice little two bedroom place at the top of a treacherous hill which I have dubbed "The Hill of Doom". Cape Dorset is basically just a group of hills and in Inuktitut the name for Cape Dorset is Kinngait which is the word for "mountains". Since all the grocery stores are at the bottom of the hill, running errands is quite the task.  I'm sure that as I get accustomed to it, the hill will seem less daunting and although I know I need and usually enjoy the exercise (more-so after it is done).  I have actually just returned from a trip to the Northern Store and I am attempting to get some housework done before I settle down for the evening.  I have a feeling that living at the top of the hill will be excellent for my cardiovascular health and eventually (and hopefully) some significant weight loss.

My first impressions of Nunavut are mostly positive ones.  Although I definitely feel as though I am in a completely alien place (both in terrain and culture), the people seem to be very friendly.  One odd thing that I have encountered is that young children (I would say around 10 years old) here often ask for cigarettes.  Of course, in the south, smoking is a taboo habit anyways but that does not seem to be so much the case here.  And I do not wish to judge this culture because that is not my place.  It was just a shock to me when it happened; I have been informed that this was not an isolated incident but something that happens quite often.  Make of it what you will. 

While I am here, it is my goal to learn as much of the language as I can.  I think that if you are going to live in a place where you are the linguistic minority, you should at least put as much effort as possible into learning the language of where you live.  Thus, I will probably be practicing my Inuktitut on you all, but I will try to define everything I use.  I think it will help me learn.  For now, I am getting a lot of reading done (in particular because we don't have a TV) and trying to be a good domestic partner.  

And thus concludes the first entry.  I have no idea if anyone will actually read this but I am keeping it largely for my own sake.  If you do read it, please feel free to ask questions. 

Tavvauvusi (Goodbye All),
Ash

This is a picture I took the other day.  I will try to include pictures in my posts when I have them.

1 comment:

  1. I am going to try to learn cree and michif so I will call you and try to speak to you in them and you can talk to me in Inuktitut. We won't have any idea what the other one is saying or if we are speaking correctly lol but it won't matter!

    ReplyDelete